IEP is a cross-platform Python IDE aimed at interactivity and introspection. Its practical design is aimed at simplicity and efficiency. IEP consists of an editor, a shell, and a set of tools to help the programmer in various ways.
- Powerful introspection
- Various ways to run code interactively or to run a file as a script.
- Shells run in a subprocess and can therefore be interrupted or killed.
- Multiple shells can be used at the same time, and can be of different Python versions (from v2.4 to 3.x, including pypy)
- Support for using several GUI toolkits interactively: PySide, PyQt4, wx, fltk, GTK, Tk.
- Magic commands similar to IPython.
- Matlab-style cell notation to mark code sections (by starting a line with ##).
These testimonials about the IDE were selected from the IEP discussion group.
This is a great program for those of us on OSX. I do not know of another IDE that works this well. — Jack
For quite a while now I’ve been looking for a way to switch from Matlab to Python. The last remaining problem was a lack of descent IDE for interactive work. I do a lot of short calculations, so a ‘cell’ execution mode is crucial for me. Thanks again for a great project! — Jev
This is fantastic IDE - exactly what I was looking for! — Matt
I don’t even remember how I found IEP, so confused and desperate I was testing [all available IDE’s] I could find. Installed it, and 10 minutes later I was coding, connecting with a glade created user interface, and everything is running so well. I ain’t gonna change now. IEP is my choice. Thank you very much, and keep up this amazing work. — Jose
Thank you for a great Python IDE. — Stan
What I like especially of iep is the plain and simple design of the UI (a Qt feature :) while providing really powerful functionality. Please, keep this project running. — Hans
This is EXACTLY the python IDE I have been waiting for, even though I didn’t know it. Excellent job! — Jaap